30 April 2013

C2E2 2013: Night of the Complaining Blogger, or Meeting Patricia Tallman


Introduction: At the generous invitation of my friends, I was given a chance to attend the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) this year. I wrote some pieces for Flickchart last year, and they gave me a press pass again this year. Unfortunately, my health was far less cooperative this year and I missed almost all of what I was supposed to have covered. Here's an anecdote from my "personal file", though, that almost makes up for waking up Saturday morning puking my guts up.

In Flickchart's Reel Rumbles #24, I pitted the original Night of the Living Dead against its remake. I don’t expect you to remember but on Halloween night in 2011, I tweeted a link to that piece to actress Patricia Tallman, who starred as Barbara in the remake. That sparked a brief back-and-forth dialog between us. The short version is that she wasn’t very happy.

Jump forward to April 27, 2013. I’m in Chicago at C2E2, missing most of what I was there to cover because of health issues when I learn that Patricia Tallman is an unannounced guest of the show! She spoke at a panel that I missed, but she was present at J. Michael Straczynski’s booth. Straczynski has just launched Studio JMS, of which Tallman is the CEO. Studio JMS will produce comic books, as well as web series, TV shows and the feature film The Flickering Light, set to begin filming this fall. The launch title is Ten Grand, written by Straczynski and in comic book shops tomorrow.

All I had to do was get through the line before she left the booth and I could finally confront her face to face.

So, what was it that she actually said to me in 2011?
Patricia Tallman, surprised by either her audacity online or mine for confronting her. I'm not sure.
I didn’t have the tweets handy when chatting with her, but here’s the entire conversation.














Of course, as I surmised the night that we tweeted, Patricia Tallman is a delightful woman and we shared a laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing. You can see we've made up.
Travis & Pat, all made up.
Make no mistake, though, the moral of this story isn’t that some criticism on the Internet is all in fun or that Patricia Tallman is actually a very lovely woman.

The moral of the story is that Crohn's or no Crohn's, if you malign what I write, I will find you and confront you - even if it takes years.

Photography by Ronnie Ashley.

No comments:

Post a Comment