17 December 2012

December Miscellania

It seems that I've sort of fallen off the blogging wagon recently. We've had a rash of public shootings, including a mall in Portland, a movie theater in San Antonio and an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. I've already said everything I have to say about our gun culture. My thoughts are with the grieving families.

Friday night I found myself again in the situation of using someone else's tickets to go to a performance at the Kentucky Center for the Arts. In July, it was to see Billy Elliot: The Musical. This time, it was to see The Nutcracker by the Louisville Ballet. Just to show you how small a world it is, the two original ticket holders are cousins, and my dates for the two outings are sisters. I'd never seen The Nutcracker, though of course I've heard parts of the music over the years. It was a lot of fun, though the set included a pair of portraits on a wall that had glowing red eyes like some kind of demonic Scooby-Doo thing and they were disturbing. They even followed me wherever I moved my eye line.

Erica De Le O played Marie (changed, I'm told, from the original ballet's Clara). I know that cramming feet into ballet shoes alone is painful, but I have to imagine that her lovely face hurt after maintaining permagrin throughout the evening. It's intrinsic to the character to be awash with wonder, of course, and she conveyed that from start to finish. It had to be uncomfortable, though.

The performance I saw was accompanied by The Louisville Orchestra. I don't keep up with such things, but the last I recalled, the Orchestra had been disbanded due to lack of funding. Apparently, some performances this season of the ballet will be set to recorded music. It was especially nice to have caught one of the shows with the live music. It makes a world of difference.

Saturday night was the annual Christmas party with my friends. I was starting to fall asleep just before it was time to go. Even at that, I got there around 6:30 instead of 6:00. I didn't last long, leaving before 11:00. It was a lot of fun all the same. When bedtime came for my friends' daughter, I once again read her nighttime story. This time, I selected 'Twas the Night before Christmas, which I'd never actually read. By that, I mean I've never performed it, though to be truthful, I'm not entirely sure I can account for ever having read the original text myself. I've heard it performed countless times, of course, so it's not like it was unfamiliar to me. It was no How the Grinch Stole Christmas! but it was fun all the same.

Yesterday, I went out to The Great Escape to pick up Batgirl #15. I've not yet read it, but in some ways I'm really not looking forward to it as it's the penultimate issue of Gail Simone's run as writer. It's also my penultimate purchase of the book. I elected not to buy Detective Comics #15, having committed myself to not buying any DC Comics until such time as I see evidence that they're no longer committed to boneheaded editorial decisions.

En route, I decided on a whim to check out the movie offerings at the Village 8. I was just in time to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I knew virtually nothing about it save its title and that it starred Emma Watson. I found some problems with it, but on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it. As has become my custom, I reviewed it in my Letterboxd diary. Logan Lerman's performance as Charlie was highly impressive.

I also started my first eBay auctions in a few years yesterday. Up for sale are my personal copies of Garfield Holiday Celebrations and My Favorite Year on DVD, and the Amazon exclusive edition of Chely Wright's Lifted Off the Ground album with bonus DVD. In recognition of Wright's activism on behalf of the LGBTQ community, I'm donating 20% of the final sale price of that specific auction to The Trevor Project. All three have been out of print for a while now, so I'm hopeful that I might come out okay on these auctions. Fingers crossed!

Muffin has taken to an obnoxious habit in the last week. He gets right up against my face and runs his whiskers across me. It tickles, and he just keeps doing it over and over! I have no idea what this is about, but the fact he insists on it while I'm in bed and trying to sleep is not working out well for me at all.

Speaking of such things, it seems my month-plus of insomnia is now yielding to a new thing where I'm drowsy all the time. I'm starting to nod off now, so off to bed I go for an afternoon nap. Somebody wake me if Melody Gardot releases a Christmas album.

No comments:

Post a Comment