24 December 2012

Christmas Eve, 2012

There's less than an hour before the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve as I begin to write this post. The weather has been cold, wet and bleak for the last few days. It's the kind of weather that annoys my steroid-ravaged hips and back, and sort of hypnotizes me. There was a midnight screening this past Saturday night of It's a Wonderful Life. I had tried to get my cousins my brother together for it, as I realized earlier this year that the four of us have not once gone to see a movie as a foursome. My elder cousin was a no-show, though, so the special occasion will have to occur some other time. I hope it does.

I've thought about why this matters to me. Conventional wisdom holds that as we age, we place greater emphasis on family. I've often wondered about that. Would it be the case for me? What is the reason for it?

My present theory is that we're competitors at heart, and there comes a point where the only ones left who can truly give us an honest, informed appraisal of our progress are those who were there with us all along. The ones who don't have to imagine what it was like to grow up in the home where we were children, because they were there. Family can be our most thorough prosecutors, but also our most sympathetic jurors.

For my birthday, I received a coupon for a free package of cookie dough from Papa Murphy's. I very nearly missed redeeming the coupon at all before it expired. I finally decided to bake them about an hour ago. As you can see, they didn't quite turn out the way they were supposed to, but they taste the same regardless.
This is what happens when Santa bakes his own cookies.
I've settled in with the cookies, which are quite good. I've begun to listen to Patrick Stewart's one-man performance of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, a tradition I've discussed in previous blog posts. Other than the CD, all is quiet. I've turned off the lights, but turned on the lights on the tree. It only just crossed my mind that I've yet to photograph or describe my decoration theme for this year. The general idea is that I picked ornaments that reflect specific times of my life. It's a fairly holistic tree, and I've enjoyed gazing at various pieces on it.

I've got the post-munchies daze now, so I think I'm going to stretch out on the couch and let Sir Patrick narrate Ebenezer Scrooge's infamous Christmas Eve from all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment