02 August 2012

Cinemark Classic Series - Fall 2012

Cinemark has announced their Fall lineup for their Classic Movie Series and it's absolutely terrific! Each movie plays twice; once at 2:00 and again at 7:00.



23 August - Jaws
30 August - High Noon
6 September - Doctor Zhivago
13 September - Chinatown
20 September - The Bridge on the River Kwai
27 September - The African Queen

I GET TO SEE DOCTOR ZHIVAGO ON THE BIG SCREEN! WOO HOO!

I'm very tempted by The Bridge on the River Kwai, too, since Sony has indicated they're intending a limited theatrical release of Lawrence of Arabia in November to coincide with its 50th anniversary Blu-ray release. That would give me the David Lean Trifecta all in the span of three months, which would be pretty amazing. However, I've already seen Bridge at Baxter Avenue Theatre; it played there the week after Sir Alec Guinness passed away and I caught a showing of it there with a friend of mine. If I don't make it to Cinemark's showing in September, so be it because...Zhivago!

In case you're wondering why I'm so fixated on that one, you should hop on over to Flickchart: The Blog and read my piece about it for their "Movies You Have to See Before You Die" series. Earlier this year, I finally got around to reading the original Boris Pasternak novel, which I reviewed here.

Trivia: I have won just a single game ever of bingo, in 2010. By the time I split the pot with the other winners, I had little more than $30. I used my winnings to buy Warner's Zhivago Blu-ray Disc!

I've crunched the numbers, and assuming I manage to get to the forthcoming screenings I know about and hope to attend (always sketchy with a Crohnie), I'll wind up seeing twice as many classic movies as new ones in the theater this year. In fact, the only new releases I've seen (or want to see) have been Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [technically a 2011 release, but didn't go nationwide until January], John Carter, The AvengersBrave, The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall.

Meanwhile, my classic movie list already includes The Man with the Golden Gun, Casablanca, From Russia with Love and Citizen Kane. This month, I'll have a crack at The Princess Bride (Iroquois Park, Monday), Tombstone (Baxter, Saturday) and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Baxter, the 25th). Zhivago plays in September, and last I heard, there was still talk of Dr. No playing for its 50th anniversary nearer to the opening of Skyfall, and Sony has the aforementioned plans for Lawrence of Arabia. This is after I've already missed American Graffiti at the Louisville Zoo and Raiders of the Lost Ark at Iroquois! Plus, nothing has been announced at Baxter beyond early September and I'm almost certain to find at least another movie or two there that interests me. Who needs new movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment