18 April 2012

C2E2 II: The Comics

Okay, before I get into the comics I got signed I just want to take a moment to point out that my blog post for Flickchart, "All Dressed Up with C2E2 to Go" is now live! Hop on over there, if you will, and don't forget to comment and share. Otherwise, how will the world know I'm awesome?

Once I decided to accept my friend's gracious offer to accompany him to C2E2, I checked out comicbookdb.com to see which comics I owned whose creators would be present. There were several, but I was very quick to rule that I wasn't going to be the fan who took half his collection to get signed. I pared it down to just one issue per professional, though there were a couple of issues that overlapped.
Pep Comics featuring Betty & Veronica - Free Comic Book Day 2011
Signed by Dan Parent (writer, artist) 13 April

At some point in my youth, my mom introduced me to a cache of Archie Comics she and her brother used to read. I always liked them, though I confess I never felt compelled to buy any Archie Comics of my own. This was a Free Comic Book Day issue last year and I actually missed out on it at The Great Escape (I think I put it back by mistake and didn't realize until later what I had done), but I found a copy of it for a quarter at Half Price Books. It was a reminder how refreshing Riverdale can be. Dan Parent was very friendly.

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1
Signed by Tim Sale (artist) 13 April & Jeph Loeb (writer) 15 April

I've gushed over this issue in the past, but for the uninitiated, it's a great Batman vs. Scarecrow story. It was also the first Sale/Loeb LOTDK work, which evolved into the iconic maxi-series, The Long Halloween. I bought my copy at a flea market the Friday night of the week it went on sale. I nearly hesitated and waited until the next morning, when I was going to The Great Escape, but I surrendered to the compulsion. I'm glad I did, because there were none to be found at TGE the next morning! Everyone under-ordered this book (its $6.95 cover price wasn't very attractive). As a LOTDK reader, it was gratifying to see all the readers go gaga over this special, which was clearly branded as part of my favorite Bat-book. I was able to get to Mr. Sale when just one other guy was at his booth, and I was actually first in line for Mr. Loeb. This issue was already one of my nearest and dearest, and now it's even more so.
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Official Movie Adaptation
Signed by Gordon Purcell (artist) 13 April

It wasn't easy deciding which issue to take, because Purcell worked on quite a few of DC's Star Trek issues in the 90s. I wanted to take Star Trek vol. 2 #16 because not only did he do the art for that issue, but it was written by J. Michael Straczynski, who was also in attendance. Alas, I could not find that issue! I decided to take this comic book adaptation of Star Trek VI because it was the teaser poster for that movie that lured me into Star Trek in the first place (explained in this post I wrote for Flickchart). Mr. Purcell was very laid back and we chatted for several minutes.
The Transformers #1 of 4
Signed by Bill Sienkiewicz (cover artist) 13 April

This is one of the very first comic books I ever owned. I did not own it when it was first published; I didn't even know about there being Transformers comic books until they had already been out for more than a year. But I was fortunate in that Marvel Comics recirculated several of the back issues in 3-packs at places like Value City and I was able to get caught up fairly quickly that way. Mr. Sienkiewicz was very upbeat and remarked this was one of the issues he's asked to sign the most often. I explained to him the impact these comics had on me as a child, learning to read words that were not introduced to me in the classroom (such as "dirge"). It was nice to be able to properly give credit to someone who had a hand in my development, and nicer still that he was so warm and welcoming.

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #100
Signed by Gene Ha (artist) 13 April and Jimmy Palmiotti (artist) 14 April

This was an issue where I could have also hit up Mr. Sale and Mr. Loeb, but I elected not to burden them. I remember buying this issue at The Great Escape and taking it back to my grandfather's house, and reading it at his kitchen table after we'd eaten some fried chicken from Hardee's. We did that quite often once upon a time. There were quite a lot of contributors to this special issue, not all of whom attend shows anymore (and I think a couple may have passed away). I'll work on it.
All-Star Western #1
Signed by Jimmy Palmiotti (co-writer) 13 April

Mr. Palmiotti is the only guy I actually hit up twice at the show, but at least I did it on two different days. All-Star Western was one of two New 52s that really interested me from the beginning (the other being Batgirl). I wasn't very happy about the $3.99 price tag and even less happy that Barnes and Noble didn't carry it. That's hampered my reading, but I did eventually snag a couple issues and enjoyed what I've read. This was not a priority issue for me to get signed. Incidentally, I almost took instead DC's adaptation of William Shatner's Star Trek: The Ashes of Eden. I wish I had.
Batgirl #1
Signed by Adam Hughes (cover artist) 13 April

My friend took this issue to Emerald City Comic Convention a couple weeks ago on my behalf and got writer Gail Simone to inscribe it to me by my Twitter user name. At the time I asked him to take the issue for me, she was not on the C2E2 list and I certainly wasn't expecting to go! Adam Hughes wasn't easy to catch at his booth; he's a busy dude (though, given he doesn't do sketches at shows any more, I have no idea just what keeps him so busy!). His wife was very friendly and I owe this signature to her taking pity on me and getting it for me. Also: Adam Hughes looks about 20 years younger in person than his profile photos.

Men of War #1
Signed by Ivan Brandon (writer)

Okay, this one I bought at the show after discovering 1) Brandon was in Artists Alley and 2) one of the vendors had this for $2.00. I was kind of curious about this book anyway (particularly drawn to those gorgeous covers!) and knowing it's already been cancelled and that I can rather easily acquire the entire series, I decided to splurge. I'll review Men of War when I get the chance.
Detective Comics vol. 2 #1
Signed by Tony Daniel (writer, artist, cover artist) 15 April

Directly after leading the line for Jeph Loeb, I dashed off to the DC booth where I managed to be third in line for Tony Daniel. I let him know that I almost didn't buy this issue at all, but that I had been completely sucked in by it after I acquiesced and I told him that, as a fan of Legends of the Dark Knight, I could offer no higher praise than to say that the "Dollmaker" story arc would have been a perfect fit in that anthology. He expressed humility at the flattery and struck me as a very sincere guy. I like that he thought to inscribe "2012 C2E2" next to his signature.
Robin #126
Signed by Bill Willingham (writer) 15 April

This was another "lesser" important issue for me to get signed, but I had it so I took it. I caught Mr. Willingham at the Hero Initiative booth almost by accident; my friend was going there to find out when he might get a crack at a Gene Ha sketch. I like that he made use of the white space to inscribe it with a caption bubble.
Star Trek/X-Men
Signed by Marc Silvestri (artist & cover artist) 15 April

I had to take this! It's one of the few Star Trek comics I ever entirely loved, just because it's so "WTF?" Mr. Silvestri himself calls it "the weirdest comic ever made," noting that, "I loved the original Star Trek so much, I had to do it!" The guy in front of me in line also brought a copy, so we had a nice little chat about it. Mr. Silvestri's favorite panel is early in the issue when Nurse Chapel calls for Dr. McCoy and both Bones and Beast respond in unison and then exchange suspicious/annoyed looks. (My favorite moment is when Jean Grey knows Captain Kirk wants to hit on her.)

To our surprise, Mr. Silvestri was also in the mood to do head sketches for free! Somehow, Captain Caveman came up in conversation with my friend that morning so I tried to get that as a subject, but apparently, despite creating some of the hottest entertainment of the last fifteen years, Marc Silvestri is not cool enough to be familiar with the bearded one. I opted instead for a Batgirl sketch and even that almost didn't happen because couldn't think of what she looked like offhand. "I was just going to draw Batman with hair," he quipped later. My friend, however, managed to borrow a Graphitti Designs T-shirt based on Adam Hughes's cover art to Batgirl #1 (my signed copy of the comic was in the car). Near the end of the sketch, he absentmindedly began singing the Neal Hefti theme song to Batman, but sang "Batgirl" instead. That sparked a brief exchange about how Batgirl actually had her own song. It was worth missing the panel on "Disabilities in Comics," I should think!
Batgirl by Marc Silvestri, 15 April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment