06 October 2011

"No One Needs to Know" by Shania Twain

What follows was originally posted in response to a review by Leeann Ward of Shania's "No One Needs to Know" on Country Universe.  I have decided to share it here, but I encourage anyone wishing to discuss the song itself to do so on Country Universe rather than here.
I had checked out of country music in the early to mid 90s with the lone exception of Garth Brooks, so I missed The Woman in Me when it was released in 1995. However, I did go see the movie Twister and in those days I bought a lot of soundtracks. That’s where I was introduced to “No One Needs to Know,” and I fell in love with it.

I was sixteen at the time and I really connected with the idea of keeping feelings to oneself. I can’t tell you how many crushes I had throughout school that I never acted on; of course, I didn’t have the kind of self-confidence Shania expresses in this song. For her, it’ll all work out later and that’s why she’s okay putting all of this in her back pocket for the time being.

I, conversely, thought about my attractions long enough that after I thought about how I would approach the girl in question, I had already worked out how and why I would fail. Rather than waste her time and add to my misery, I rejected myself for her and moved onto the next crush that would never materialize into anything more.

Once I heard “No One Needs to Know,” though, I started to feel a little better about all those girls I never approached. This song let me know that maybe it was okay just to be infatuated with someone for a while, that it didn’t always have to become something else.

Whenever I hear this song today, I recall those anguishing years of my youth but because of Shania Twain, I can smile about it all now.

Somewhat off-topic, but after I graduated high school in 1997 and I took my first job, one of the first things I treated myself to when I finally got my own checking account was to join BMG Music Service. The Woman in Me was one of my seven introductory selections. It’s still a favorite album of mine. I wouldn’t have bought or heard it had I not fallen in love with “No One Needs to Know” on the Twister soundtrack (itself also another favorite in my library).

No comments:

Post a Comment