23 October 2011

NaNoWriMo I: Sign-Up

For years I've heard about NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), but never had the self-confidence to try my hand at such an ambitious project.  Inspired at present, however, I have just completed the sign-up process (it's free, though they'll gladly take donations from those whose coffers are fuller than mine).  The objective is simple enough: from 1 November until 30 November, you work on writing a novel.  You can plan your novel before the 1st, but you can't begin the actual writing until then.

I've kicked it around the last week or so, but today I finally came up with the basic premise.  My story will center around a high school reunion.  That's the entirety of what I know about my story at this point in time.  Go ahead, steal it.  I don't have characters, a plot or even an objective right now, but I've still got a week before I have to get writing.  I'll still blog in November, I'm sure, but obviously NaNoWriMo will take precedence so things will probably be a little light and a little slow around here next month.  I had originally planned to spend this week working on another short story but will instead focus on fleshing out my novel outline.  I suppose I should start by creating a novel outline.

If you wish to sponsor my participation, you can donate here.  You don't have to donate, but it'd be mighty nice if you did.

4 comments:

  1. One year I might give it a go myself... if only for the accomplishment of writing 50,000 words in a month. In the mean time I am just enjoying the podcast at www.writingexcuses.com which is very entertaining and often insightful and funny.

    Broadcast by best-selling authors, and with the tagline "Fifteen minutes long, because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart", what's not to like?

    - Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at 7721 words as of earlier tonight. If I keep at this pace, I'll hit 50k. If not, so what? I still plan on finishing this even if I don't meet the 30 November deadline. I've already introduced the main characters, identified the nature of how they will come to be together, and begun to get them there. And tonight, I wrote 2600+ words about a scene set in a strip club, so that was fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scene like that really calls for some in-depth research, you know? ;)

    - Arthur

    ReplyDelete