07 August 2011

Netflix DVD Renter, 2001-2011

In light of the new Netflix membership plan changes, we have elected to become streaming-only subscribers.  It was really the only prudent choice, given "My Abysmal Netflix Rental History."  In fact, we just finished watching The Blind Side on Blu-ray which has the distinction of being the last disc we'll have rented from Netflix.  It's shameful, really, to look at how infrequently I've made use of my account.  Below is the entirety of my DVD and Blu-ray Disc rental history.
  1. The Peacemaker
  2. Wild Things*
  3. Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You for the Last Time*
  4. The Insider
  5. The Sopranos: The Complete First Season - Disc 1*/**
  6. The Sopranos: The Complete First Season - Disc 2*/**
  7. The Sopranos: The Complete First Season - Disc 3*/**
  8. The Sopranos: The Complete First Season - Disc 4*/**
  9. Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie***
  10. Swingers*
  11. Major League Baseball: All Century Team
  12. The Sopranos: The Complete Second Season - Disc 1*
  13. The Sopranos: The Complete Second Season - Disc 2*
  14. The Sopranos: The Complete Second Season - Disc 3*
  15. The Sopranos: The Complete Second Season - Disc 4*
  16. Dr. No*
  17. Bull Durham*
  18. Monty Python and the Holy Grail*
  19. National Geographic: Secrets of the Titanic
  20. Sex and the City: The Complete First Season - Disc 1
  21. Sex and the City: The Complete First Season - Disc 2
  22. Sex and the City: The Complete Second Season - Disc 1
  23. Sex and the City: The Complete Second Season - Disc 2
  24. Sex and the City: The Complete Third Season - Disc 1
  25. Sex and the City: The Complete Third Season - Disc 2
  26. Airheads
  27. Chicago
  28. The American Presidents - Disc 3
  29. The American Presidents - Disc 5
  30. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  31. The In-Laws 
  32. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 1
  33. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 2
  34. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 3
  35. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 4
  36. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 5
  37. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete First Season - Disc 6
  38. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 1
  39. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 2
  40. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 3
  41. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 4
  42. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 5
  43. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 6
  44. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Second Season - Disc 7
  45. Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns - Disc 1
  46. Monster-in-Law
  47. Surviving Christmas
  48. Shadow of the Vampire*
  49. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - The First Year - Discs 1
  50. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - The First Year - Disc 2
  51. Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Third Season - Disc 6*
  52. Underground Railroad
  53. Sicko*
  54. Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Fifth Season - Disc 2
  55. The True Story of The Bridge on the River Kwai
  56. Gods and Monsters
  57. Modern Marvels: Baseball Parks
  58. The Big One
  59. Tatooing
  60. Jeeves & Wooster: Season 1 - Disc 1
  61. Jeeves & Wooster: Season 1 - Disc 2
  62. Mother, Jugs and Speed*
  63. Roger & Me***
  64. King of California
  65. Blood Diamond
  66. Run, Fat Boy, Run
  67. Anne Frank Remembered
  68. Repo! The Genetic Opera
  69. Fanboys
  70. Just Buried
  71. Paris, Je T'aime
  72. Eddie Izzard: Dressed to Kill
  73. Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus
  74. Frost/Nixon
  75. The Wrestler
  76. Bob Saget: That Ain't Right
  77. The Blind Side
* indicates a title that we have since purchased and added to our library
** I actually rented The Sopranos: The Complete First Season twice so I could watch it with my friends
*** I don't actually think I watched these

Now, it's not as bad as it may seem because I actually suspended my account for several months at a time on a few occasions over the years because I knew with school and work I just wasn't likely to make much use of my account.  I would guess that I may have cumulatively gone as much as two years without being active.  Since last Spring, when we began streaming via the Wii, we've made far more extensive use of our Netflix account.  We streamed 68 movies last year and I've streamed 79 movies and two short films so far in 2011.  That's not counting TV content; we watched the entirety of My Name Is Earl last year, and we streamed all of The Office and 30 Rock that were available at the time (we got to the latest seasons of those as they were released earlier this year and are looking forward to the most recent seasons of those going live soon).  Those numbers also do not reflect several movies that my wife streamed without me.

With twelve months in a year and ten years of membership (120 months) and 81 discs received (remember I got The Sopranos: The Complete First Season twice), I averaged 1 disc received every 1.48 months.  Given that I stayed on a 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan for most of that time (including a few years where it was just 1 disc a month), it's not as awful as I feared.  Still, there's no denying that I got a lot less out of my membership than I should have.  Streaming is clearly the better format for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment