27 July 2011

The Louisville Palace presents James Stewart

I'd like to thank the Louisville Palace for never replying to any of my queries about this year's Classic Movie Series.  It's been going on for almost a full two weeks already and not one announcement from them via e-mail.  Anyway, here's the lineup.  I'm including the entire series for the sake of posterity, knowing full well you can't possibly go see several of these because they've already played.  All shows are (or were) at 8:00, except as noted.

15 July - You Can't Take It with You (1938)
16 July - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
22 July - Destry Rides Again (1939)
23 July - The Philadelphia Story (1940)
29 July - Rope (1948)
30 July - It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - also shows at 4:00
5 August - Harvey (1950)
6 August - Winchester '73 (1950)
12 August - The Glenn Miller Story (1954)
13 August - Rear Window (1954)
19 August - The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
20 August - Vertigo (1958)
26 August - Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
27 August - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

Tickets are $5.00.  Unlike years past, there are no encore showings of movies the following afternoon so you've only got one crack at each movie (save It's a Wonderful Life).  I'd tell you whether these were 35mm prints or DVD projections...if the Palace bothered to say so on their web page or at least respond to my tweet.  Their Twitter feed is entirely one-sided; they do not appear to ever actually reply to anyone or even re-tweet anything.

I've seen a few of these for the first time in the last few months: Destry Rides Again, Harvey and Winchester '73 and I enjoyed all three.  I would highly recommend all three.  For me, the real eye-catcher is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, one of my all-time favorites.  It's currently #50/1252 on my Flickchart.  Provided all the proper stars align (guts, money, lack of other pressing events), I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment