28 June 2011

IFC, Fright Night Film Festival and Me

It's no surprise I enjoy discussing movies.  Take a look at the list of labels on this blog and you'll see "Movie" is far and away the largest word in the cloud.  In a bit of exciting news for me, if you hop on over to the Independent Film Channel website (IFC.com), you'll find an editorial about "Why Michael Bay should be taken seriously," penned by yours truly.  IFC is now the second website to publish my writing, and I have to say it's rather flattering.  I have been invited to submit more in the future should I so desire, meaning I now have three outlets for discussing film.  I just have to come up with something to say!

In other news, the Fright Night Film Festival returns next month here in Louisville.  It has expanded tremendously since I attended four years ago.  This year's lineup includes John Carpenter, Henry Winkler, Paul Le Mat, Cindy Clark, Margot Kidder, Fred Olen Ray, Jeremy Bulloch, Daniel Logan, Tiffany Shepis, Michael Biehn, Tony Moore and a slew of others.  As in years past, there will be a tie-in showing at the Georgetown Twin Drive-In attended by some of the celebrities.  This year will be two episodes of Happy Days, plus American Graffiti.  I have also read that Halloween will be shown, but that hasn't been named in all the promotional release information so maybe not.  Naturally, I began to count up how many autographs I'd like to score and what they'll cost.  The Fright Night webpage doesn't offer that information so I began tracking down the official web presence of the individual celebrities who interested me.

At one point I had considered buying an American Graffiti poster to get signed by Le Mat and Clark.  I was unable to find signing information at Le Mat's webpage so I sent an e-mail inquiry.  The reply came shortly thereafter to inform me that his signing fee "varies" from $10 to $20; more for posters.  I can understand how the fee might vary from show to show based on expected turnout, the compensation from the promoters, etc.  However, I specifically asked about the cost of an autograph at Fright Night.  I'm not saying Paul Le Mat or his people make this up as they go, but as a fan budgeting for a convention ahead of time I have no use for "variable" as I make my plans.  And what's this about charging more to sign a poster?  Whatever the reason, Le Mat is off my To Get list and I just can't make myself want to buy an entire American Graffiti poster just for Cindy Clark to sign.  I'm hopeful she'll have an 8 x 10 and a static signing fee.
Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?" Le Mat: "It varies."
Fred Olen Ray, however, does not charge a signing fee according to the reply I received.  I may very well take my Scalps DVD.  Otherwise, I have no idea what I'll take to get signed.  I need to rummage through my comic books and see if I have anything with art by Tony Moore.  I think I might.  I'm also considering trying to track down a Night Shift poster to get Henry Winkler to sign.  I love that movie.

The other highlight for me personally will be that Albert Pyun will not only be in attendance, but he will be screening his director's cut of Captain America.  If you haven't seen that movie, imagine a TV movie made with YouTube production values and you have an idea how awful it is.  It's so bad I had to rent it about half a dozen times back in the day.  It's stunning to think, after Batman had just been a big money maker, that Marvel would license out Cap for something so low budget as this movie.  Even more curious is the fact they managed to get Ronny Cox.  I can only speculate that his children were taken as hostages.  In any event, I have a soft spot for the movie and I'm stoked about seeing a cut that includes even more awfulness.
You should see the Red Skull.  Seriously, go Google it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment