09 May 2011

Free Comic Book Day 2011 - "The Tick"

The Tick: Free Comic Book Day 2011
"Book Tour"
Concept: Ben Edlund
Writer: Benito Cereno
Artist: Les McClaine
Publisher/Editor: George Suarez
Art Director: Bob Polio
Asst. Editor: Ralph Blaser

The Tick discovers that his exploits have been chronicled in print and goes across The City in search of this work, not because he feels upset at someone making money off his adventures, but rather because, "We just have to flip ahead to see what's coming!  What will happen next month, next year, whatever!"  Throughout the short story, we're introduced to several secondary characters--which is really the whole point of such an introductory comic book.

The lion's share of this issue is devoted to "A Sneak Preview of The Tick: Giant Circus Maximus Mini Index," an encyclopedic guide to the characters of The Tick's world.  Aside from The Tick himself, I found this guide helpful as I was entirely unfamiliar with any of these characters: Bumbling Bee, Scarf Ace, Caped Cod, Trousershark, Desperadoe, Tuun-La: Not of This World, Ichthuhuu and Visible Man.  There are illustrations, but mostly these pages are pure text, meaning it took a lot longer to read than the average comic book.

I've adored The Tick ever since the animated series began in 1994.  I wasn't big on the live-action series when it aired, but I did stream it last year from Netflix and found that I liked it more than I had initially.  Oddly, this was the first Tick comic book I've ever read.  It's not the first Tick comic I've owned, however.  A while back, I turned up several assorted Tick comics at Half Price Books and bought them all, but I haven't read any of them because they're incomplete.  I'm not about to read issues 3-6 of a mini-series without having 1 and 2.  The Tick: Free Comic Book Day 2011 was a delightful introduction to the comic book version of the character I've enjoyed all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment