08 May 2011

Free Comic Book Day 2011 - The Take

I was always wary of venturing near Louisville on FCBD because the first Saturday in May is also the Kentucky Derby. (I've hated for years that the industry chosethis day for their annual event!) Anyway, my wife and I took the chance two years ago, went early and had nary a problem getting in and out so I decided I'd keep going. Last year I felt like hell so we passed, but we did go this afternoon. The place was packed so tightly I couldn't even concentrate long enough to even explore any given section of the place.

Of the freebies, we snagged:

Green Lantern
The Tick
The Mis-Adventures of Adam West
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Civil War Adventure
The Amazing Spider-Man
Captain America/Thor
The Darkness II: Confession
Young Justice/Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Baltimore

Like I said, it was packed and I had a hard time trying to rummage through the back issues, but I did find several issues of Marvel's Star Trek: Deep Space Nine run from the late 90s at $0.95 apiece. I also picked up Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness #1 on a whim. It promises to be entertaining. I let my wife pick which cover we bought, and she opted for the Paul Renaud cover:







On our way back we stopped at Half Price Books. I had a bag full of paperbacks and such to trade in, and they had a 20% off comics sale going on to partake in FCBD (even though they don't carry new releases and aren't an official participant). They had two boxes of comics set aside where you could select one issue to have free. There was some guy hovering around them taking his time so I gave up on those. But I did find several things that interested me, including:



Batman 30th Anniversary Special
Batman #213

Batman and Supergirl

The Brave and the Bold #160
Batman and Lois Lane

The Brave and the Bold #179
Superman and Batgirl
DC Comics Presents #19
Superman vs. Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster - No, really!
Superman #344
My trade-in covered these so I was happy.  I checked eBay and discovered that Batman #216 was listing between $20-$45 (though few listings actually had any bids).  I picked up my copy for a tiny fraction of that, just $4.80 after the 20% discount.  Putting today in the "Win" column, even though I have been too miserable to attend our friends's Derby party.

3 comments:

  1. I needed a break from the exhausting output of Danger Girl comics in recent years and have focused on other interests.

    All kidding aside, I actually didn't read the past couple Danger Girl mini-series, and I hold no real damning critique of Nick Bradshaw's art in those books but I miss Campbell, Noto, and Yu. I did pick up Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness #1, though I haven't read it yet, and while I chiefly hope to be entertained, I am a little disappointed that Dynamite's first outing with the property would be an oddly paired crossover. Wish I couldn've got that Renaud cover, but at the other store it was unavailable. Not that settling for a Campbell cover is much to lament. I love the classy look of Renaud's art and count myself very fortunate to have gotten a sketch from him in Baltimore back in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I neglected to mention, apparently, that I also picked up Danger Girl: The Dangerous Collection vol. 2 at Half Price Books for a mere $2.40, which was nice because I've had vol. 1 for years now and nothing else! Looking forward to digging into that.

    As for the Army of Darkness crossover, it was a complete impulse buy. Rachael picked out which variant we bought, as I was entirely indifferent and had no idea which was rarer. I haven't gotten to it yet.

    It's a shame that comics these days rely so much on licensing, be it the merchandising from the comics (as we've discussed re: Green Lantern), turning comics into movies (and, in turn, more merchandising) or turning movies into comics. I thought for years that Dark Horse Comics did a nice job with their comics-based-on-movies properties, but the proliferation of them these days makes me wonder if the industry is simply too afraid to produce original content.

    One of the things I actually looked for at The Great Escape, but could not find, was a recent crossover mini-series by IDW pitting G.I. Joe, The Transformers, Ghostbusters and Star Trek (original series) against zombies. It's my understanding that the zombies are the common theme, but that the specific series characters don't necessarily interact with one another. I admit, I was curious--though I expect my suspicions that it's glorified fanfic to be borne out should I ever get around to reading it.

    I think this is largely why, of late, I've found my renewed interest in the realm of comics focused primarily on titles like Bone, Strangers in Paradise and Powers (thanks to you). Maus and Persepolis were both terrific and I'm glad I got to those in recent years.

    I'm still into the guys wearing capes, but I've become more interested in either rebuilding/completing parts of my former library (such as Legends of the Dark Knight) and finding some of the Silver Age comics at Half Price Books that just seem goofy and fun. Like the above issue of Superman pitting him against Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster; how can that not appeal to a fan of all three characters? And I don't need to track down nineteen other issues to follow and enjoy the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I neglected to mention, apparently, that I also picked up Danger Girl: The Dangerous Collection vol. 2 at Half Price Books for a mere $2.40, which was nice because I've had vol. 1 for years now and nothing else! Looking forward to digging into that.

    As for the Army of Darkness crossover, it was a complete impulse buy. Rachael picked out which variant we bought, as I was entirely indifferent and had no idea which was rarer. I haven't gotten to it yet.

    It's a shame that comics these days rely so much on licensing, be it the merchandising from the comics (as we've discussed re: Green Lantern), turning comics into movies (and, in turn, more merchandising) or turning movies into comics. I thought for years that Dark Horse Comics did a nice job with their comics-based-on-movies properties, but the proliferation of them these days makes me wonder if the industry is simply too afraid to produce original content.

    One of the things I actually looked for at The Great Escape, but could not find, was a recent crossover mini-series by IDW pitting G.I. Joe, The Transformers, Ghostbusters and Star Trek (original series) against zombies. It's my understanding that the zombies are the common theme, but that the specific series characters don't necessarily interact with one another. I admit, I was curious--though I expect my suspicions that it's glorified fanfic to be borne out should I ever get around to reading it.

    I think this is largely why, of late, I've found my renewed interest in the realm of comics focused primarily on titles like Bone, Strangers in Paradise and Powers (thanks to you). Maus and Persepolis were both terrific and I'm glad I got to those in recent years.

    I'm still into the guys wearing capes, but I've become more interested in either rebuilding/completing parts of my former library (such as Legends of the Dark Knight) and finding some of the Silver Age comics at Half Price Books that just seem goofy and fun. Like the above issue of Superman pitting him against Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster; how can that not appeal to a fan of all three characters? And I don't need to track down nineteen other issues to follow and enjoy the story!

    ReplyDelete