03 April 2011

46th Academy of Country Music Awards: The Winners


Another awards show, another blog post!

Photo from Amazon.com.
Entertainer of the Year
Predicted: Taylor Swift
Won: Taylor Swift

It's a shame this is a fan voted award now because I think that detracts from the fact that Swift legitimately deserved this award.  I felt pretty good about her chances early this afternoon when "TaylorSwiftACMs" was trending on Twitter.

Photo by
William Morris Agency
Top Male Vocalist of the Year
Predicted: Blake Shelton
Won: Brad Paisley

I honestly didn't have a strong feeling on this one.  I rolled the dice on the basis that I've been told Shelton had a terrific 2010.

Top Female Vocalist of the Year
Predicted: Miranda Lambert
Won: Miranda Lambert

I didn't even hesitate when it came time to make this prediction.  Ran had a career year riding high on Revolution and "The House That Built Me."

Top Vocal Duo of the Year
Predicted: Sugarland
Won: Sugarland

Brooks & Dunn are dead; long live Sugarland.  Or something.

Top Vocal Group of the Year
Predicted: Zac Brown Band
Won: Lady Antebellum

Maybe next year I'll wait until after the Grammy's are handed out before casting my predictions.  It was my understanding that the country music community had fallen entirely in love with Zac Brown Band.

Top New Solo Vocalist of the Year
Predicted: Easton Corbin
Won: ?

Photo by William Morris Agency
Top New Vocal Duo or Vocal Group of the Year
Predicted: The Band Perry
Won: The Band Perry

Strangely enough, it appears that only a Top New Artist award was presented, to The Band Perry.  Not sure what happened with Top New Solo Vocalist.

Album of the Year
Predicted: Up on the Ridge, Dierks Bentley (Produced by Jon Randall Stewart; Capitol Records Nashville)

Won:  Need You Now, Lady Antebellum (Produced by Lady Antebellum, Paul Worley; Capitol Records Nashville)

In truth I'm not surprised by this win, especially in light of its dominance at this year's Grammy Awards.


Photo from Amazon.com
Single Record of the Year
Predicted: "The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert (Produced by Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke; Columbia Nashville)
Won: "The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert (Produced by Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke; Columbia Nashville)

Song of the Year
Predicted:
"The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert
Composers:  Tom Douglas, Allen Shamblin
Publishers:  Built On Rock (ASCAP), Sony/ATV Tree Publishing (BMI), Tomdouglasmusic (BMI)

Won:

"The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert
Composers:  Tom Douglas, Allen Shamblin
Publishers:  Built On Rock (ASCAP), Sony/ATV Tree Publishing (BMI), Tomdouglasmusic (BMI)



Video of the Year
Predicted:
"The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert
Producer: Trent Hardville, Director: Trey Fanjoy


Won:
"The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert
Producer: Trent Hardville, Director: Trey Fanjoy


I predicted that "The House That Built Me" would go 3-for-3 with Single, Song and Video, and sho' nuff, that's exactly what happened.  That song dominated 2010, and its video was perfect.

Vocal Event of the Year
Predicted:
"Coal Miner's Daughter," Loretta Lynn, Sheryl Crow and Miranda Lambert
(Columbia Nashville), Produced by: John Carter Cash, Patsy Lynn Russell

Won:
"As She's Walking Away," Zac Brown Band Featuring Alan Jackson
(Southern Ground / Roar / Bigger Picture / Atlantic), Produced by: Zac Brown, Keith Stegall

I shouldn't have underestimated ZBB & AJ.  Had this been the CMA Awards, I think I'd have predicted this. For some reason, I thought the ACMs would zig instead of zagging.  Live and learn.

Final Count
Predicted: 7-4, with Top New Solo Vocalist of the Year apparently not presented.  That could either improve my count to 8-4 or drop me to 7-5.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Travis,

    I checked out your site from Country Universe, pretty insightful, I enjoy reading your opinions on the nation's problems and agree with you on a lot of your points.

    Just wanted to say that a few years ago, the ACM's decided to offer a fan-voted honor for Top New Solo Vocalist and Top New Group/Duo, then have the winners from those respective categories go into an entirely fan-voted competition for Top New Artist, so technically, only one group or vocalist wins the award. Confusing, I know.

    Regards,
    Zack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack,

    It's very kind of you to say such things about my blog and I thank you for taking the time to read some of it.

    Additionally, Thanks for clarifying the ACM newcomer situation. You can probably surmise from my confusion how long it's been since I paid close attention to such things!

    I suppose I'll revise the original post to conclude that I ultimately went 7-4 on the night, since I did call The Band Perry to win Top New Vocal Duo or Group, and they went on to win Top New Artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Travis,

    I checked out your site from Country Universe, pretty insightful, I enjoy reading your opinions on the nation's problems and agree with you on a lot of your points.

    Just wanted to say that a few years ago, the ACM's decided to offer a fan-voted honor for Top New Solo Vocalist and Top New Group/Duo, then have the winners from those respective categories go into an entirely fan-voted competition for Top New Artist, so technically, only one group or vocalist wins the award. Confusing, I know.

    Regards,
    Zack

    ReplyDelete