13 February 2011

53rd Annual Grammy Awards: Pre-Telecast Results

Nearly all of my predictions were made in categories presented during the pre-telecast portion of the ceremonies.  I really should have taken the time to predict The Beatles to win Best Historical Album; that seemed such a no-brainer, but I was really tired of typing by the time I came to it (it's category #90).  Anyway, here are the categories I did predict, presented here in the order in which they were awarded.

Category 108: Short Form Music Video
Predicted: "Love the Way You Lie" (Explicit Version), Eminem & Rihanna
Won: "Bad Romance," Lady Gaga

To paraphrase our last president, I misunderestimated Gaga.  0-1 to start the night.

Ryan Bingham & T Bone > Glee or Steve Earle.  Who knew?
Category 81: Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
Predicted: Glee: The Music, Volume 1, Glee Cast
Won: Crazy Heart, Various Artists

Given that Crazy Heart came out before last year's Grammy's were handed out, and given how Glee has permeated pop culture, I was genuinely surprised by this one.  0-2, not lookin' good.

Category 82: Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
Predicted: Toy Story 3, Randy Newman
Won: Toy Story 3, Randy Newman

Woo hoo!  I figured that Newman's lighter score would stand out against the other nominees, which were generally darker (read: primarily in the lower register).  Maybe that's not why it won, but the point is: I'm 1-2!

Category 83: Song Written For Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
Predicted: "This City" from Treme, Steve Earle, songwriter (Steve Earle)
Won: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart, Ryan Bingham & T Bone Burnett, songwriters (Ryan Bingham)

I picked the wrong alt.country artist, simple as that.  1-3.

Category 77: Spoken Word Album for Children
Predicted: Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs and Lullabies, Julie Andrews & Emma Walton Hamilton
Won: Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs and Lullabies, Julie Andrews & Emma Walton Hamilton

Last night, Dierks Bentley asked in a tweet what our "craziest" Grammy predictions were.  I replied with this one.  He re-tweeted it, adding, "LOVE IT!"  I got a kick out of that.  2-3, starting to feel better.

Category 78: Spoken Word Album
Predicted: American on Purpose, Craig Ferguson
Won: The Daily Show Presents Earth (The Audiobook), Jon Stewart (With Samantha Bee, Wyatt Cenac, Jason Jones, John Oliver & Sigourney Weaver)

I originally picked Michael J. Fox to win for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future... but then revised to favor Ferguson after realizing Fox won this category last year.  Apparently, it wouldn't have made a difference.  I should have suspected the green message of Earth would resonate with the Grammy voters.  Lesson learned!  2-4, no longer feeling better.

Why didn't I go ahead and predict this?
Category 70: Hawaiian Music Album
Won: Huana Ke Aloha, Tia Carrere

I only posted this category to draw attention to the fact Carrere was active as a Hawaiian music recording artist.  Apparently, I should have gone ahead and made the prediction.

Category 37: Country Male Vocal Performance
Predicted: "Mason," Jamey Johnson
Won: "'Til Summer Comes Around," Keith Urban

I thought it was written into law last year that critics had to support Johnson.  2-5.

Category 38: Country Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals
Predicted: "Need You Now," Lady Antebellum
Won: "Need You Now," Lady Antebellum

Not much doubt about this one, really.  3-5.

Category 39: Country Collaboration With Vocals
Predicted: "Bad Angel," Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert & Jamey Johnson
Won: "As She's Walking Away," Zac Brown Band & Alan Jackson

I almost went with this one, as there's a lot of love for ZBB (though I still don't quite get it myself).  I know a lot of fans love this song in particular, for the role that AJ plays as "elder statesman."  I think that's overstating it a bit, and I wonder if those fans aren't being led by the lyric that introduces Jackson on the song: "Wise man sitting next to me did say."  If the line had been instead, "Drunk man sitting..." would we start wondering if an intervention was in order for Jackson?  Anyway, a deserved win though I would have still predicted "Bad Angel," which is conspicuously absent altogether on the ACM ballot.  3-6, and I'm not feeling optimistic.

Seriously, I didn't see this on the ballot!
Category 41: Country Song
Predicted: "The House That Built Me," Tom Douglas & Allen Shamblin, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)
Won: "Need You Now," Dave Heywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady Antebellum)

I didn't even see this on the ballot, apparently!  I probably would have predicted it based on the fact that Lady A are up for Album of the Year and Song of the Year.  This is why you read the whole thing, boys and girls.  3-7.

Category 27: Urban/Alternative Performance
Predicted: "Fuck You," Cee Lo Green
Won: "Fuck You," Cee Lo Green

Hey!  I've got another winner!  4-7

Category 64: American Album
Predicted: The List, Rosanne Cash
Won: You Are Not Alone, Mavis Staples

I should have listened to Cash, who picked Staples to win.  4-8 and wow, what a dismal showing!

In hindsight, I should have taken the time to predict The Beatles and Tia Carrere, and even though I didn't type up all of Best Country Instrumental Performance, I did predict Marty Stuart to win that, which he did so I'm at 5-8 officially and I'd be 7-8 if I hadn't been lazy.  Throw in the fact that I didn't see "Need You Now" on the ballot for Best Country Song, which I would have predicted, and I could have been 8-7 right now instead.  Just when I think I've got a handle on how the Grammy's view country music, they go and hand out awards to things like Crazy Heart over Glee and Keith Urban over Jamey Johnson.  I thought for sure that Crazy Heart's strong showing would at least mean I'd be proven right by picking the rugged Johnson over the  pop-leaning Urban, who's probably best defined as an adult contemporary artist at this point.  Go figure.

Still remaing: Best Female Country Vocal Performance (I have no idea why this wasn't part of the Pre-Telecast Ceremony), Best Country Album (where I now expect Lady Antebellum's Need You Now to best Miranda Lambert's Revolution, meaning another loss for me) and Best New Artist where, God help me, I have my hopes pinned on Justin Bieber.

Category 36: Female Country Vocal Performance
Predicted: "The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert
Won: "The House That Built Me," Miranda Lambert

Why the Grammy's selected this category for its prestigious, three-hour TV broadcast when the other country categories were handed out beforehand, I don't know.  What I do know is that I'm now 6-8 on the night with a chance to break even with two more predictions in the offing!

Category 42: Country Album
Predicted: Revolution, Miranda Lambert
Won: Need You Now, Lady Antebellum

I should have gone with Lady A, given that they're also up for Best Album.  That was, after all, the same logic behind my pick of Cee Lo Green to win Best Urban/Alternative Performance.  Still, Lambert has spent an entire year collecting awards and I thought there was one more to be had.  With this, I fall to 6-9 and can no longer end the night at .500.  Sad face.

Category 4: Best New Artist
Predicted: Justin Bieber
Won: Esperanza Spalding

So the Grammy's went with rugged, weary Crazy Heart over the mainstream-friendly pop of Glee, but chose mainstream-friendly pop Keith Urban over Jamey Johnson.  Lady Antebellum wins Best Country Album over Up on the Ridge or Revolution, but artistic Esperanza Spalding bests commercial giant Justin Bieber for Best New Artist.  It's a schizophrenic list of winners and losers, is all I can say.  Congrats to those who won--and those who had a better show of predicting this year's winners than did I.  I finished a miserable 6-10.  Even if I'd taken the time to predict The Beatles for Best Historical Album and made an official prediction of Tia Carrere for Best Hawaiian Music Album, I still would have had a losing record.  Maybe this year I'll do a better job paying attention to what's released so I'll have a better crack this.  Then, chances are I won't actually like any more of this year's music than last year and I'll be just as oblivious.

1 comment:

  1. Found it: Category 36: Female Country Vocal Performance

    ReplyDelete