15 October 2010

The Strange Case of Dr. DSL and Mr. "Broadband Link Is Not Currently Available"

At first, I thought it was just the router being finicky.  Then the next night, it repeated.  By Sunday, I'd noticed it was happening at the same time each night when, at 7:35, the reassuring green light gave way to its angry, flashing red counterpart.  I spent half an hour or so on the phone with tech support, but as it was a weekend there were only so many things she could try.  Monday being Columbus Day (I hope you celebrated by either contracting an STI or stealing someone's gold), I didn't bother calling them back, but there was a storm a-brewin' and it got darker around 6:30 that night.  You guessed it: down went the Internet connection.

A technician came out yesterday and inspected the lines, changed the main filter and said he couldn't find anything wrong.  I was afraid of that, but I'd suspected he wouldn't.  He came just before 5:00...while the sun was still shining.  In the middle of posting some thoughts in a thread on DVD Talk, the connection froze.  I looked up and saw the red light.  I looked outside and discovered night had fallen.  I called AT&T.  Two hours later, we'd scheduled another technician for tonight, between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM.  We'll see what happens.

Tuesday night's troubleshooter suggested the problem stems from a dying streetlight near the house.  It sounded kind of funny to me, but then I realized that the streetlight in question comes on when it gets dark.  It may be mere coincidence but it's an awfully suspicious one, I think.  Yesterday's technician, when told of this theory, laughed and dismissed that idea as, "lame."  Of course, he wasn't around to witness the transformation of Dr. DSL into Mr. "Broadband Link Is Not Currently Available."

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to follow up on this post by remarking that AT&T apparently sent out their technician around 1:00 in the afternoon instead of the agreed-upon 6:00-9:00 period. I spent most of my time between 6:30 and 8:00 between their website and phone support trying to find out what happened. I was on hold, and then disconnected. Good thing I gave them a callback number, right? I've given up believing they intend to return my call as it is now past midnight. Which brings me to the interesting point: the sun has gone down...and we're still online. Yay, exorcism!

    ReplyDelete