01 October 2010

Sketch: Count Dracula


It's October, and I had the urge to dash off a sketch of the legendary vampire, Count Dracula, just now.  I'm watching the Reds/Brewers game on TV and I can tell you I started this sometime in the bottom of the first inning and finished by the bottom of the second.  I elected not to give his eyes pupils because I found the look kind of creepy, and I don't think pupils would improve the face at all.  He has very sharp features, which not only reflects the high cheek bones of iconic actor Bela Lugosi, but was meant to evoke the nature of his fanged teeth.  I didn't really intend to capture Lugosi specifically, but let's face it: every imagining of the character in some way comes back to his 1931 performance.

And, of course, I had to recycle the held-up cape image I love so much with Batman.  Not only do I love that pose, but it was a nice way of cheating out of having to deal with the count's tuxedo front.  Tuxedos look great in person, but I've found them uninteresting to draw.

2 comments:

  1. I really have to agree with you, tuxedos are not just boring to draw but they are also boring to look at in a drawing. I much prefer the held-up cape as well! I love the sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to agree with you, tuxedos are not just boring to draw but they are also boring to look at in a drawing. I much prefer the held-up cape as well! I love the sketch!!

    ReplyDelete