06 June 2010

Sketch: Untitled Montage

Another sketch I turned up in the filing cabinet.  I'm having a hard time recalling the origins of this one.  I know I was asked by a friend to dash off a sketch to a short story he'd composed--this wasn't it, but I seem to recall doing the two together.  I can't say now where I got the idea for either the overall montage, or any of its individual elements.  I'm wanting to say that "Suicide Is Painless" figured into it somehow, but I can't say for sure now.  I suspect that Reading Rainbow crossed my mind at some point, hence the book at the end of the rainbow, but why that should have been, I have no idea.  So, I'm left in an interesting position: the artist saying to you to interpret this entirely as you see fit because I can't tell you what my "intent" was!

4 comments:

  1. is that a flaming spatula?
    ~hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it to be a crude torch of some kind, but since I've abdicated any claim on explaining this composition...sure. It's a flaming spatula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it to be a crude torch of some kind, but since I've abdicated any claim on explaining this composition...sure. It's a flaming spatula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is that a flaming spatula?
    ~hobbs

    ReplyDelete