25 February 2010

The 82nd Annual Academy Award Predictions

I've never really paid much attention to the Academy Awards, but for some reason I thought I'd try my hand at predicting this year's winners.  I haven't actually seen very many nominees, but I've followed enough reviews, criticism, etc. that I think I've got a feel for how this might go.  Avatar is going to win pretty much every technical category for which it is nominated, I suspect.  The sheer impact of the film, coupled with the hype of being James Cameron's long-awaited return to movies, will win him the Best Achievement in Direction award.  All too many films are described as being a given director's "vision."  Avatar really is Cameron's, and for that he deserves this year's award.

I think Clint Eastwood's Invictus is going to net what may be perceived as a long-overdue award for Morgan Freeman (Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role).  I loved Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick both in Up in the Air, but I think they're going to split and Maggie Gyllenhall is going to win Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.  Up is going to win Best Animated Feature of the Year, largely because it won't best The Hurt Locker for Best Motion Picture of the Year and is the only animated feature in that category.  Plus, I never bet against Pixar.  The rest of the predictions are pretty much just gut leanings.
  • Best Motion Picture of the Year - The Hurt Locker (2008): Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier, Greg Shapiro
  • Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Morgan Freeman for Invictus (2009)
  • Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia (2009)
  • Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role - Matt Damon for Invictus (2009)
  • Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role - Maggie Gyllenhaal for Crazy Heart (2009)
  • Best Achievement in Directing - James Cameron for Avatar (2009)
  • Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - The Hurt Locker (2008): Mark Boal
  • Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009): Geoffrey Fletcher
  • Best Achievement in Cinematography - Avatar (2009): Mauro Fiore
  • Best Achievement in Editing - Avatar (2009): Stephen E. Rivkin, John Refoua, James Cameron
  • Best Achievement in Art Direction - Avatar (2009): Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg, Kim Sinclair
  • Best Achievement in Costume Design - Coco avant Chanel (2009): Catherine Leterrier
  • Best Achievement in Makeup - Star Trek (2009): Barney Burman, Mindy Hall, Joel Harlow
  • Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score - Up (2009): Michael Giacchino
  • Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song - Crazy Heart (2009): T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham ("The Weary Kind")
  • Best Achievement in Sound Mixing - Avatar (2009): Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers, Andy Nelson, Tony Johnson
  • Best Achievement in Sound Editing - Avatar (2009): Christopher Boyes, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle
  • Best Achievement in Visual Effects - Avatar (2009): Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham, Andy Jones
  • Best Animated Feature Film of the Year - Up (2009): Pete Docter
  • Best Foreign Language Film of the Year - Un prophete (2009) (France)
  • Best Documentary, Features - Food, Inc. (2008): Robert Kenner, Elise Pearlstein
  • Best Documentary, Short Subjects - The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant (2009) (TV): Steve Bognar, Julia Reichert
  • Best Short Film, Animated - French Roast (2008): Fabrice Joubert
  • Best Short Film, Live Action - Miracle Fish (2009): Luke Doolan, Drew Bailey

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I ultimately went 10-7. I meant to revise my Supporting Actor prediction to Christoph Waltz, but I didn't and I'm man enough to admit it rather than retroactively fix it.

    Incidentally, Roger Ebert was 15-2 on the night. One he missed was one I got right (Cinematography), and we both picked the same nominee for the other miss (Costume Design). So, I feel pretty good about my overall record on the night, and I hope to improve next year.

    ReplyDelete