10 October 2009

2009 Reading Objectives: October Status

Back in February, I set some reading objectives for 2009.  You may recall the post to that effect, but if not here they are:

  • Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom series - A friend lent me his old paperback of A Princess of Mars and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Since Pixar is going to be adapting this in a couple of years, it seems prudent to read the source material now.
  • Joe Torre's The Yankee Years - I own and have read his first two books, and so I look forward to reading this one.
  • Books upon which movies I like are based - Sideways by Rex Pickett, Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley and Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler (Eyes Wide Shut was based on this) are at the top of the list, but there are many, many others.
  • Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise comic series - I own the second volume, I Dream of You, and enjoyed it.  It'll be this year's Bone.
  • The Works of Alan Moore - It seems that if a film adaptation of Watchmen can finally come out, the least I can do is read the original comic.  And then, V for VendettaFrom Hell, the DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore collection and the remainder of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  And if I ever read Lost Girls, you can bet I won't be admitting it in this blog.
  • P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" stories - Introduced to me by B.J. Harrison in his outstanding Classic Tales Podcast series, these are absolutely delightful.  Apparently, there was also a British TV series based on these in the 1990s starring Hugh Laurie, and that's at the top of my Netflix rental queue.
  • Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories - Because it seems high time I read a standard like these.
  • Ian Fleming's The Man with the Golden Gun - It will be bittersweet indeed to read the penultimate Fleming-penned Bond book when I get to my annual allowance of this series.
  • More John le Carre novels.  I last read the masterpiece, The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, and am up to The Looking Glass War.
  • Art Spiegelman's Maus II: And Here My Troubles Began - I checked out the first volume from the library last year and was so engrossed by it I read it all in one night.
  • Elie Weisel's Night - because my new aunt lent it to me, thinking I would appreciate it.
  • Peter O'Toole's Loitering with Intent: The Apprentice - I found the first volume for a quarter at Half Price Books and would love to read the second half of this engaging, if dis-organized, autobiography.
  • At least something by David McCullough.  I mean, the guy is pretty much the American historian as far as mass market publications go, anyway.  It seems like my degree won't be final until I've at least read something by the guy.
So far, I've managed to knock off:

Gods of Mars, second in Edgar Rice Burroughs's "Barsoom" series
The Yankee Years by Joe Torre with Tom Verducci
Sideways by Rex Pickett
Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley
Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler
Strangers in Paradise: The Collected Edition by Terry Moore
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
The Looking Glass War by John le Carre
Maus: A Survivor's Tale II - And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman

Left to read:
At least something from P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" series
At least something from Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" series
The Man with the Golden Gun by Ian Fleming
Night by Elie Weisel
Loitering with Intent: The Apprentice by Peter O'Toole
At least something by David McCullough

And, if possible, more of Strangers in Paradise and works by Alan Moore.  Not bad, really, since I've got nearly three months to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment