02 August 2009

iTunes - July 2009

The printout for my July play counts lists 410 songs, placing it third behind April by one song. Had it not been for our 10 day vacation, I think it likely that July might have actually become the highest play count month of the year, because as I turned from DVD commentary tracks and reading to writing as my nocturnal activity of choice during the month, I also began a habit of wrapping up each night's creative efforts with a relaxing album. There weren't a lot of repeat plays in July, either; less than one of the six-plus pages that contain the entire list includes songs with more than one play. Here's what reached my ears in the seventh month:
  • "I Kissed a Girl," Katy Perry (4)
  • "Johnny Cash Is Dead and His House Burned Down," Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers (3)
  • "She's a Hottie," Toby Keith (3)
  • Girls in Their Summer Clothes - Single, Bruce Springsteen (3)
  • Living for the Night - Single, George Strait (3)
  • "Wild One," Those Darlins (3)
  • "Are You Alright?" Lucinda Williams (3)
  • "It Don't Matter to the Sun," Garth Brooks (as Chris Gaines) (2)
  • "Dare (New Recording)," Stan Bush (2)
  • Who Will Comfort Me - Single, Melody Gardot (2)
  • "Silver Wings," Merle Haggard & Jewel (2)
  • "The Blues Man (A Tribute to Hank Williams, Jr.)," Alan Jackson (2)
  • "Amanda," Waylon Jennings (2)
  • "Theme from The Dukes of Hazzard (Good Ol' Boys)," Waylon Jennings (2)
  • "I Ain't Living Long Like This," Waylon Jennings (2)
  • "The Wurlitzer Prize (I Don't Want to Get Over You)," Waylon Jennings (2)
  • "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson (2)
  • Spirit, Jewel (2)
  • "A Soft Place to Fall," Allison Moorer (2)
  • Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly (Fond of Each Other) - Single, Willie Nelson (2)
  • "Rainbow Connection," Willie Nelson (2)
  • Red Headed Stranger, Willie Nelson (2)
  • Red High Heels - Single, Kellie Pickler (2)
  • "Sounds So Good," Ashton Shepherd (2)
  • These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Radio Edit) - Single, Jessica Simpson (2)
  • "Thong Song (Uncensored)," Sisqo feat. Foxy Brown (2)
  • Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven - Single, George Strait (2)
  • American Girl - Single, Taylor Swift (2)
  • "The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)," Shania Twain (2)
  • You Look Good in My Shirt (2008 Version) - Single, Keith Urban (2)
  • "Eyes of Waylon," Hank Williams, Jr. (2)
The albums I played once in July include: American V: A Hundred Highways and Personal File by Johnny Cash, VH1 Storytellers by Cash & Willie Nelson, Worrisome Heart by Melody Gardot, Pieces of You by Jewel, Miss Fortune by Allison Moorer, RCA Country Legends and Willie Nelson's Greatest Hits (& Some That Will Be) by Willie Nelson, Sounds So Good by Ashton Shepherd, and Always Never the Same and One Step at a Time by George Strait. I also was introduced to a new female-led act that has caught my attention, Those Darlins. Their lead single, "Wild One," exudes a very mid-70s country vibe that drove me nuts. I didn't at first like their sound, or even want to like it, and yet I confess to finding it somewhat addictive. I'll be keeping an eye on them, and am likely to pick up their eponymous debut album.

No comments:

Post a Comment