27 August 2007

Cowboys & Indians Greatest Country Songs of All Time

Whilst rummaging through my magazine library (mostly because I knocked some off a coffee table chasing the cat), I was reminded of an issue of Cowboys & Indians published in 2004 that included the "100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time."  So, without further adieu, the top 20 were:

1. "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams
2. "Crazy" by Patsy Cline
3. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones
4. "Stand by Your Man" by Tammy Wynette
5. "El Paso" by Marty Robbins
6. "Can the Circle Be Unbroken" by The Carter Family
7. "Sweet Dreams" by Patsy Cline
8. "Help Me Make It Through the Night" by Sammi Smith
9. "Wabash Cannonball" by Roy Acuff
10. "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" by Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
11. "You Don't Know Me" by Eddy Arnold
12. "Coal Miner's Daughter" by Loretta Lynn
13. "Hey Good Lookin'" by Hank Williams
14. "Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton
15. "Tennessee Waltz" by Patti Page
16. "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" by Kitty Wells
17. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank Williams
18. "Rose Garden" by Lynn Anderson
19. "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson
20. "She Thinks I Still Care" by George Jones


Like the Rolling Stone list of greatest songs, I'm sure the actual title of this list should be, "Greatest Country Recordings of All Time," but, again, it's their list, not mine.  I have several thoughts as I peruse this list, the first of which being how many recordings I don't think I have.  If I have "Wabash Cannonball" or "You Don't Know Me," I'm unaware of them.  The second thought I have is how the issue in which this list appeared featured a cover article on the passing of Johnny Cash, who didn't even hit in the top 20.  Finally, I'm reminded just how badassed Hank Williams was (or is, depending on your perspective).  I mean, the guy placed three songs in this list, wrote all three by himself, and I don't know that I could argue with any of them being on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment