16 February 2009

Concert Wish List

From 1998 through 2004, I saw in concert just about every living artist in whom I was even remotely interested.  I've seen Garth Brooks, Chris LeDoux, George Strait, Gary Allan, Charlie Robison, Willie Nelson and numerous others.  By 2005, just as my To-See list was diminished, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  I thought I could keep on living my life as I had been, until I was forced to sell tickets to a sold out Kenny Chesney concert to a neighbor the day of the show.  I had joined the fan club just to make sure I got an early pre-sell on those tickets because I knew they'd sell out in a hurry, and that's just what happened.

This past summer, I managed to get out to see Hayes Carll and it was a reminder of how much I love live music.  Gone are the days of preordering expensive tickets for big shows, but I'm determined to try to get to at least one show a year from here on out.  I'm not concerned about seeing anyone I've already seen (unless Garth Brooks comes back to town), so I've compiled a new list of artists I want to see in concert.

  • Randy Travis - I've been a fan of his since 1986, and it's disappointing I still haven't seen him in concert.
  • George Jones - I'm not a lifelong fan of the Possum, but I enjoy his music enough and really, how many more chances am I going to get?
  • Kenny Rogers - My mom was a fan of his since before I was born, so I grew up with his music.  I've stayed a fan on my own, and would like to hear his reassuring gravelly voice live just once.
  • Norah Jones - I was moderately interested in her music until I completely fell in love with her Not Too Late album.  According to her website, though, she has never played Louisville, so I don't feel so bad about not having seen her yet.
  • Honeyhoney - A new duo on Keifer Sutherland's start-up record label I discovered last year via iTunes and have come to really enjoy.
  • Joey + Rory - Another new duo I discovered via iTunes last year that I have really come to enjoy.
  • Bruce Robison - I love his writing, enjoy his voice and I've already seen his brother.
  • Allison Moorer - I fell in love with her voice the first time I heard "A Soft Place to Fall" on The Horse Whisperer soundtrack in 1998.  She's played Phoenix Hill Tavern several times, but always picked a time when I was too bogged down with research papers to go.
  • Shelby Lynne - I am addicted to her Just a Little Lovin' album.
  • James Darren - Because what Deep Space Nine fan doesn't want the live Vic Fontaine experience?
  • Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - They've played a set of Star Wars music and Star Trek, and I missed both.  I'd love to catch a nice, geeky set by them sometime.
  • Gretchen Wilson - I really came to like her after reading her autobiography, Redneck Woman.
  • Jewel - I have no idea what any of the words are to any of her songs, but I love the sound of her voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment