27 August 2007

American Film Institute Top Movie Songs of All Time


I just found the next two lists, each from the American Film Institute.  This one ranks the Top Movie Songs of All Time.  Now, as I understand it, the song may have been previously recorded, so long as it was employed in a significant manner within the film in which it appeared.  Their list only credits the song and the film; where I know the actual performer in question, I have provided it.  I will endeavour to revise this list at some point to give the complete artist information.

1. "Over the Rainbow" The Wizard of Oz (1939)
2. "As Time Goes By" 
Casablanca (1942)
3. "Singin' in the Rain" 
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
4. "Moon River" 
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
5. "White Christmas" 
Holiday Inn (1942)
6. "Mrs. Robinson" 
The Graduate (1967)
7. "When You Wish Upon a Star" 
Pinocchio (1940)
8. "The Way We Were" 
The Way We Were (1973)
9. "Stayin' Alive" 
Saturday Night Fever (1977)
10. "The Sound of Music" 
The Sound of Music (1965)
11. "The Man That Got Away" 
A Star Is Born (1954)
12. "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" 
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
13. "People" 
Funny Girl (1968)
14. "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion from 
Titanic (1997)
15. "Cheek to Cheek" 
Top Hat (1935)
16. "Evergreen (Love Theme from 
A Star Is Born)" A Star Is Born (1976)
17. "I Could Have Danced All Night" 
My Fair Lady (1964)
18. "Cabaret" 
Cabaret (1972)
19. "Some Day My Prince Will Come" 
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
20. "Somewhere" 
West Side Story (1961)


I've seen five of the films cited.  I can't really say I have anything to say about this list, other than I was kinda surprised that "I Need a Hero" didn't make the 100.  I never saw the film it was from (Footloose, maybe?) but I remember back in the late 90's, Paramount strung together a promo spot at the beginning of several of their VHS action titles setting clips from the movies to that song.  It was pretty cool, actually.  Made me want to watch Serpico.  Still haven't, mind you, but that montage made me want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment