13 February 2009

AFI's "100 Years, 100 Passions"

For those who celebrate St. Valentine's Day and might be looking to buy/watch a romantic movie, I thought I would bring out the American Film Institute's "100 Years, 100 Passions" list from 2005.  These are the top ten from the list:
  1. Casblanca
  2. Gone with the Wind
  3. West Side Story
  4. Roman Holiday
  5. An Affair to Remember
  6. The Way We Were
  7. Doctor Zhivago
  8. It's a Wonderful Life
  9. Love Story
  10. City Lights
I've seen half the list, including the top three, Zhivago and Wonderful Life.  Since the latter is set at Christmastime, I doubt anyone will find that a time-appropriate movie to hunker down with tomorrow night.  The latter, as well as Gone with the Wind, are quite long so that's something to consider.  (Personally, I love David Lean's films, including this adaptation of Boris Pasternak's novel.)  Casablanca is every bit as good as you've heard it is, and while watching it for the first time recently I saw shades of everything from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  Top notch in every way, and it would be my recommendation.  Last fall, Warner Bros. released a massive boxed set edition that would certainly impress a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment