10 January 2008

Top 20 Grossing Films of 2007


Whoa, doggie!  I'm perusing the list of the highest grossing films of 2007 and, to my astonishment, I've seen fourteen of the top twenty!  Furthermore, I've even seen a few more that didn't place as highly, meaning I actually averaged over a movie a month last year.  Once upon a time, I averaged nearly four a month, but those days are long over.  Here is the list, with an asterisk (*) beside those I saw theatrically and two (**) beside those I saw on DVD:
  1. Spider-Man 3**
  2. Shrek the Third*
  3. Transformers*
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End*
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  6. The Bourne Ultimatum
  7. 300*
  8. Ratatouille*
  9. The Simpsons Movie*
  10. Wild Hogs
  11. Knocked Up*
  12. Rush Hour 3
  13. Live Free or Die Hard
  14. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer**
  15. American Gangster**
  16. Bee Movie*
  17. Superbad*
  18. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry*
  19. Hairspray
  20. Blades of Glory*
Interestingly, for those who care to know, 2007's paying audience fit a Chosen Adventurer Cinescope Personality Type.  Of the top seven films, only Shrek the Third does not carry the label.


I also saw Epic Movie and Black Snake Moan, among 2007 releases.  And, not that they count, but since I'm on the subject, I attended a midnight screening of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and a once-in-a-lifetime showing of Goldfinger at Fort Knox.  Had it not been for Goldfinger, the most thrilling movie-going experience of 2007 for me would have been hearing Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime again.  As great as that was for a geek like me, though, it's hard to compete with the surrealism of sitting outside at night, watching Goldfinger literally across the street from the gold depository.  As a James Bond fan, I've missed out on all the other really cool, exciting 007 events mostly because they either occurred before I was into Bond (or, for that matter, born) or they were held somewhere other than Kentucky or a reasonable distance therefrom.  Thank you, once again, to the Alamo Roadshow for bringing 007 to the Bluegrass State.

No comments:

Post a Comment