27 October 2008

Closing of the Duerson Library

For 40 years, Oldham Countians have checked out books and other media from the Duerson Library in LaGrange, KY.  On November 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, a brief ceremony will commence to recognize the history of the facility.  The community is invited to gather, and participate in a Passing of the Book ritual as we help the staff begin the process of transferring media to the new Oldham County Public Library building.  Unfortunately for those of us used to checking out materials from the LaGrange branch will have to wait until January 2009 for the grand opening of the new facility.

Looking back, I cannot recall all of the titles I checked out from the Duerson library.  I distinctly recall checking out an instructional video on VHS hosted by Pete Rose when I was a kid learning about baseball.  In 1991, when I became interested in Star Trek, I was able to check out Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home on VHS as I got up to speed in anticipation of that year's theatrical release of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.  Last year, I checked out Star Wars: Allegiance by Timothy Zahn for myself and Brother Odd by Dean Koontz for my wife, as we prepared to leave for a weekend trip to celebrate her grandmother's 80th birthday in Ohio.  That rekindled my relationship with the Duerson library, and 2008 was a banner year for us.

This year alone, I have checked out a host of graphic novels, works of fiction and non-fiction, CD's and DVD's.  These have included:
  • Jeff Smith's Bone series of graphic novel collections (all nine volumes, plus the prequel Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails: The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero)
  • Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's The Essential Fantastic Four, Vol. 1
  • John le Carre's Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality
  • Burt Ward's autobiography Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights
  • Kanye West's Graduation [CD]
  • Mrs. Henderson Presents [DVD]
The new facility will not only continue to offer a deep catalogue and current releases, but will also offer a state-of-the-art design that will itself attract attention.  Features include:
  • Drive-through dropoff and pickup window
  • Walking trail through property (which sprawls across 8.49 acres)
  • Reading terrace
  • Bridge over on-site existing stream
  • Floor-to-ceiling windows to take maximum advantage of sunlight
  • Rainwater collected for use in toilet flushing and landscape watering
  • A central, double-sided fireplace surrounded by small groupings of chairs and tables
Click on the title of this blog to link to the full press release .pdf file.  I can't wait until January to sit near the fireplace with another John le Carre novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment