18 September 2008

Autumn

Ah, Autumn.  That wondrous time of year when the last vestiges of Summer yield to the birth of Fall.  Mornings are brisk, afternoons are breezy and nights are crisp.  The misleading vibrance of the color of leaves as they begin to die.  Shorts go into storage under the bed; longsleeves and sweatshirts replace them in drawers.  Baseball teams compete for the postseason (the Cubs/Rays Series we've all joked about may not be far off!).  TV series return (or, in the case of the ones I actually watch, wrap up until January).  Looking ahead to scary movies and bonfires, but not there yet.

For me, this time of year is marked by classic country music and spy stories.  It seems I'm drawn to Johnny Cash around now...Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash at San Quentin, the Unearthed box set.  As those who know me are aware, ever since I got into James Bond in 1995 I have permitted myself to read one Ian Fleming Bond novel annually, and earlier this week I finally gave in and read You Only Live Twice.  It was excellent, but not enough, so I proceeded to read my third John le Carre novel of the year, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.  (For the record, yes, it's every bit the masterpiece you've heard it is.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to grab my iPod and take a walk with the Man in Black.  While I'm out and about, be sure to comment on this post with your own thoughts on Autumn.  What do you associate with this time of year?  What habits do you have for it?  The first person to respond to this post will be entitled to a free gift.

1 comment:

  1. I love autumn. Each year as the temperature begins to drop I am reminded of past fall memories.

    When I was a kid, I raked leaves and jumped in them. In high school I remember competing in state marching band competition and riding the band bus. College brought lots of autumn weekends where I would hike in Red River Gorge. When I moved to Frenchburg, I used to play fiddle tunes outside while the leaves fell. Now I enjoy going to Hubers, carving pumpkins, making pies, and watching football.

    As a fellow Reds fan, you know that smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. (Old Spice commercial read by Marty Brenneman). I love the musty scent of leaves, the smell of burning wood (very evident now with the burning of debris from the wind), and the smell of pumpkin pie cooking because all of this reminds me of my childhood.

    Come on, readers! What do you enjoy about autumn?

    ReplyDelete